Appeals and reviews

There are certain paths which you can use to ask INZ to change their mind about decisions that you don't agree with. There are usually very strict requirements for these appeals and reviews to succeed, and using a qualified and licensed immigration adviser can improve your chances of success.

If you want to appeal or ask for a review because INZ have declined your visa application it is very important to contact us as soon as possible. There are very tight time restraints on when you are able to ask for a review and the currency of your current visa can be important too. If you wait too long you may miss out on the chance to appeal and you may be deported

An immigration adviser adds value to your case by helping the immigration officer or Immigration Protection Tribunal (IPT), more clearly understand the circumstances that make it appropriate for your to be granted a visa to stay in New Zealand. We talk to you about your case in language you can understand, and present your case to the proper authorities in language that they respect. In this way your chances of success are much improved.

Section 61 request

A section 61 request is a special type of appeal that can help if you have no other way to stay in New Zealand. There are very specific conditions to being able to submit a section 61 request, and this is generally an emergency type of action, not something you would plan to do from the start.

To be eligible to submit a section 61 request, you must:

  • Be unlawfully in NZ (no current visa)
  • Must not have been served with a deportation or removal order
  • Have a very good reason why you deserve special consideration

So you want to appeal or ask for a review?

If you have a situation where you think you might be eligible for an appeal, or if you have no other avenue and you need to do something, then contact us and fill out the form below. If you are appealing to the IPT or asking INZ for a review or special request, then it is very important that you act quickly. There are various time frames for appeals and if you are too late, you may have no choice but to leave New Zealand.

We will get back to you as soon as possible after receiving your information. if you do not get our answer within 24 hours, please contact us directly either by e-mail or call us on 027 275 2677

If you wish to add extra information about your case, please send it by attachment to an e-mail.